Wednesday, June 16, 2010

You might not see me....but here I am.

I am very quiet, in fact I don't even have a sound. You cannot smell me, I have no scent. I seem to blend in with your everyday life and you may notice me for a moment. But I am usually shrugged off. You cannot see me, I have no form. In fact, you can't even touch me. I live in many of you and yet no one can see me, hell most people I live with, do not even recognize me. Well , at least until I am ready to show them. When I am ready to make their acquaintance, and I always come as such a surprise. Sure, you think back at the signs and realize I was lurking all along. Maybe you found yourself thirsty a lot, hmmm must be hot. Or maybe you would wake up with night sweats, oh must of been a bad dream. After a very heavy carb loaded dinner, you were ready to nap, Must be tired. Never once did you think it was me, you just didn't pay attention. I feel like that person screaming for attention in a sound proof room. I tried to warn you that I was here. Sometimes I feel like the red headed step child of diseases. Heart Attacks, everyone knows them, yeah I probably had a hand in it. Sometimes, I feel bad for the people I "infect", so I do things to let them know I am here. Maybe you lose your sight, or even your foot. How about kidney failure. Seems like this world just doesn't know much about me. I laugh when people say, "oh you can't eat sugar then". What! Seriously people, I destroy your pancreas( heck if you are my cousin by the same name, you attack your own beta cells), I make your insulin useless, I can make your kidneys fail, your liver overload with glucose, your toes tingle, your vision blur, your teeth rot, your mood swing. I can keep you obese, maybe claim your toe or even your leg. Don't forget about a stroke, I can bring that on or how about a heart attack. And if you try to treat me, you can over do it and I can make you sick, cold sweat, and drop your glucose low, dangerously low. Or if you want to play the " I don't have you" game, I can run rampant in your body and rise your blood sugar and even put you in a coma. YES I can do all that and yet to this day, I still here people say " oh you JUST have diabetes, you take a shot and don't eat sugar".... Pfft, if only it was that easy to control me or get rid of me. So until people start to listen to the signs there body is telling them, I am here to stay. I may be quiet and not many notice me until I have turn their life upside down.... Hello, my name is Diabetes....and I've been her for a while...

No comments:

Post a Comment