Tuesday, August 24, 2010

A New Start

Today was the day that I got to visit my new endocrinologist. I must start off by saying that God must have really listened to all of my prayers because I could have not asked for a better appointment. Thank you all for your continued support and much needed prayers. You have no idea how grateful I am!

I could barely sleep last night because I was so nervous about today's appointment. On the way to Shands my stomach was in knots. Luckily I did no sitting around in the waiting room whatsoever which was very surprising! The doctor basically followed me into the room and that caught me off guard.

My new doctor listens...can you believe that? He actually listens to me! He sat in the room with me for over a hour and went over everything. He disagreed on my Addison's diagnosis, although he does believe another autoimmune disease may be wreaking some havoc.

He asked me if I had questions and concerns, and boy did I! He listened and addressed each one though and I was amazed at what he was able to accomplish for me in one appointment. I have honestly had more done in this one appointment than I have had all year long with my old mean endo.

We talked a lot about my insulin regimen and he changed it for me because what I was taking didn't make much sense to him. I am now on two types on insulin. The first type is Lantus. It is a basal that stays in my system for 24 hours. This is to hopefully keep me from getting those nasty yucky ketones. My second insulin is a super fast acting insulin that I take with my food. I feel good about this new regimen and I hope to start feeling better here soon.

We touched base on insulin pumps and continuous glucose monitors. Unlike the old endo he was very much for the idea but I do have to complete some diabetes education classes before I can be considered a candidate. I will begin those classes in September, and I think even the Hubby might be coming along for some lessons :)

There is a culprit behind my severe leg pain and unfortunately I have lost a lot of feeling in my feet and ankles. We ran some blood tests today and he is confident that within a few weeks he will have some answers for me. It is definitely neuropathy but it could be from another autoimmune disease instead of diabetes.

I got to talk to a diabetes educator for about a hour today and she taught me a lot of useful stuff. My poor husband though was about to pull his hair out because of the information overload. The educator was great though and she even showed him what he needs to do to save my life if it ever came down to that.

All in all this appointment was a blessing. Kelly and I walked out of there with hope, something that we kind of lost with the old endo. UF and Shands is the #1 diabetes researcher in the world and I feel like I am in great hands. I have a support group now and doctors who are actually on my side. It is going to be a change, but a change for the better I believe.

Once again thank you so much for all the prayers, and thank you for letting me share all of this with you!

Lots of thanks,
Kimberlee

PS- Forgot to tell you that the Doctor gave me his email address and wants me to email him my blood sugar levels and insulin dosages everyday....Just absolutely mind boggling! I have never met a Doctor as special as him!!

No comments:

Post a Comment