Monday, September 13, 2010

Diabetes Research

Dear Family and Friends,

I have been presented with an opportunity to participate in a diabetes research study at the University of Florida. They are seeking 15 newly diagnosed Type 1 diabetics. Dr. Mike Haller who is a graduate of Duke University is very excited about this opportunity and is optimistic about preserving beta cells.

I try to be as independent as possible, and in the end this my decision and my decision only. I am asking my family and friends though for advice, opinions on the study, and most of all support. If you are reading this then I obviously value your opinion and would love to hear from you. You can email me at: KDJohnson86@Gmail.com or if you have a facebook account feel free to private message me on there.

The research study takes place at Shands\University of Florida, and it lasts a total of two years. This study does not reverse diabetes and it is very clear about that. However there is a chance that it may be able to preserve some of the beta cells my body has not killed off yet and that can help me in the future from having to increase my insulin doses higher.

I feel like I have an obligation to help out in this research. I may be able to help a future diabetic and that really means a lot to me. Dr. Haller and I have been in contact over this past week and he has ensured me that I will be able to successful continue nursing school while participating in his research study.

I am going to copy and paste the information about the study below so everyone has the opportunity to read it if they wish. Like I said above please let me know what you think about it. I really need your help!

ATG/GCSF Clinical Trial

What is the ATG/GCSF Study?
This is a new interventional study for people with established type 1 diabetes (T1D). The primary purpose of the study is to determine if giving the combination therapy consisting of Thymoglobulin® (ATG) and Neulasta® (pegylated GCSF) to patients with established T1D is safe. The secondary purpose is to determine if giving ATG plus GCSF to patients with established TID will preserve insulin production.

Who can participate?
Participants must have well established T1D with a time from diagnosis of greater than 4 months but less than 2 years. The age range for participants is age 16 or greater and less than 45 years of age. The first three subjects must be at least 18 years of age and less than 45 years of age.

What do I have to do as a participant?
If you meet screening requirements (separate study visit) you will be admitted to the General Clinical Research Center (GCRC) at Shands Hospital at UF for 3-4 days for the ATG infusion. The GCSF will be given beginning at the end of the infusion, and then every 2 weeks for a total of 6 doses. There are 12 follow-up visits at 1 week, 2 weeks, 4 weeks, 6 weeks, 8 weeks, 10 weeks, 3 months, 6 months, 9 months, 12 months, 18 months and 24 months. Beginning with the 3 month visit, a mixed meal tolerance test (except for the 9 month visit) will be done at each visit along with blood tests at all visits. All follow-up visits take place at the GCRC.


You are more than welcome to read over the consent form also, in fact I would prefer if you did. This way you can get more of an idea of what the study is about and how it can affect the participant. Visit the website at: http://diabetes.ufl.edu/files/2010/03/ATG-Consent.pdf

I am undecided about this study right now and I need some more opinions and some time to think all of it over before I can make a decision. I know the doctors and scientists at UF are a great group of people who are striving to make this world diabetes free!


I look forward to hearing from you all! Thanks again for your continued support.

Love,
Kimberlee

No comments:

Post a Comment